21 January 2009

What happened to you, man? You used to be beautiful...

I've alluded, in one way or another, to how little I was enjoying the last third of 2008. And you know what? It was my own damn fault. It was my job, my life, and my own damn, dumbass choices that put me there. Did I make mistakes? Oh hell yes. Maybe I'll put up some details of the worst parts later, but not today.

It occurred to me that parts of my past seem, in retrospect anyway, to have been jam-packed with fun, high-jinks, wacky misadventures, the odd comedic scrape, and more than a little learning. Especially in comparison with the last year or so. But it also occured to me that while I haven't been to a parasite museum in a couple of years, last year I did see the largest collection of pre-anaesthetic surgical tools and preserved pieces of syphilitic human anatomy I've ever heard of. Did I almost get run down by a forklift carrying a frozen 800-pound tuna at the world's biggest fish market? No. But I did visit one of the greatest collections of plundered antiquities in the world three times. Did I get to spend time with a bunch of interesting and intelligent people, including my wife, my parents and my brothers? Did I eat like a real, historical king? You damn right I did.

Today, like all days, is for getting on with it. I've got things to do, and not so much time to do them in. But I'm going to keep my eyes open, 'cause shit matters.

No comments: