28 July 2006

The Dork Who Fell To Earth

Been back in the US for three days, maybe. The jet-lag is making it a little tough to tell. I suppose I should be appreciative of that garrulous old jerk who helped me stay awake for most of the flight by rambling on and on and on about his travels, opinions on LAX, family problems, plans to sell his house and dealing with hagglers. Whether I was reading, eating, writing a letter or listening to headphones, he very kindly kept me from falling asleep. Or reading, eating writing a letter or listening to headphones in peace.

Anyway, now that I'm back in the US, I'm having a little trouble. Maybe I should have been prepared for some of what's hit me lately. I mean, between what the Grade School Role Model wrote down, what Esporion told me, and what my Dad laughed about from his own experiences, these sensations shouldn't have come as such a shock. But here I am, and they are somewhat shocking. Nothing here looks much like what I've become used to seeing. Nothing anyone has to say makes much sense to me, unless they're referencing something five years old.

This is going to be... unsettling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well if you need to revisit the unreality of Japan we will be there, here well somewhere.
Nicol

Jarred McGinnis said...

Since you are back. Can you answer me a question? At grocery stores, do they still give you a choice between plastic AND paper? It's been awhile since I have been back.

Also, do they show thirty minutes of commercials before showing a movie? That shit drives me nuts over here.

Datsun Z said...

Last time I was at a grocery, they just stuffed everything in a plastic sack. And at the screening of Clerks II I saw, there were fifteen minutes of commercials for TV shows before another 15 minutes of trailers. Pretty friggin' annoying...