24 January 2003

No Job, No Apartment.
Day 0:

Brief misunderstanding at work concerning my final days. I was under the impression that I would finish my last day on Wednesday, and on Thursday morning I would pay the last gas and electric bill, pick up the last of the bags I hadn't already moved, and give the key to the new teacher.

Which was essentially correct except for one fact my manager told our good old head teacher, Miho, but that she neglected to tell me until after she scheduled my final apartment check for the night after work on Wednesday: I wouldn't get my final paycheck until the next business day that I could meet the manager at work after Miho completed my final apartment check. And the manager's day off was Thursday. And my regular payday is on the 25th anyway, so funds would naturally be low anyway.

Fortunately, my manager, who is the single best boss I've ever had , foresaw this problem and advanced me a small loan to cover my ass.

Sumiyo, thank you.

Anyhow, that brings us up to the end of the day, at 11:00 pm, when I got my final apartment check. And the list of things that needed to be corrected, done over, and additionally fixed up to make sure that the place would generally be in better condition than when I arrived. All by 10:00 am.

[11 hours of cleaning, packing and dealing-with-cab-drivers-who-couldn't-understand-my-pronunciation-of-"right"-in-Japanese later...]

The new teacher finally showed up. Before I could give her the list of instructions I've written on how to use everything in the apartment, Miho asked me to tell her how to use everything in the apartment.

Again.

So we started with the closest item: the water heater. But after the beginning the instructions on how to use the oil heater (item 2 on the list of things she'd need to know), I was struck by the realization that the new teacher didn't seem to be so hot at dealing with the unfamiliar. After watching her try her first day of teaching, and now her attempts to understand the intricacies of lighting a wick with a lighter, I came to the conclusion that her primary response to the unfamiliar was to whine. Which she would continue to do, possibly until someone else helped, consoled or hit her.

After much repeating myself I finally got the OK from Miho, gave up my key, and moved out completely.

No Job, No Apartment.
Day 1:

Woke up on my friend's floor. Drank gin for breakfast. Looking for apartments in Tokyo.

Optimistic about future.

No comments: