09 August 2004

Has it been two months already?

I've heard that black-hole type gravity and near-light speeds can bend time. Having neither Stephen Hawking's imagination, Albert Einstein's insight, nor a betamax on which to play my copy of The Black Hole, I can only speculate. However, I can say that Tokyo's heat, humidity, and mind-crushing mob mentality can also make time move slower in some places.

Imagine getting on a train car with about fifty more people than the recommended maximum capacity, then stopping in the sun between stations while something that is never fully identified holds up traffic. Suicide? Earthquake? Ninjas fighting demons? You don't need to know. You can just wait there while the air conditioning, which runs the whole time the train is running, doesn't run. Finally get to the station, your suit is now re-pressed with a much more interesting series of batik-inspired patterns, and you can try to get through the 90 degree, 80% humidity to your office. Where your dickweed manager is bitching out someone else for changing clothes at work.

Sorry. It's summer vacation for elementary schools here, which means that I have almost 6 weeks off. Imagine, six whole weeks off... no lesson preparation, no stupid meetings to verify my lesson preparation for the next week, no questions about how tall I am, and no pay at all. So I gotta get back to doing the conversation school again. Which wouldn't be so bad except they neglected to input my schedule today. Which means I'm out my transportation fee, the day's projected earnings and I'll have to get this shirt laundered after wearing it on the train. Hoo-hah. If it wasn't for my brother's recent visit or getting to see my girlfriend again recently, I'd be one deeply unhappy young man.

Not that I'm fixing to go all Columbine-post-office-John-Hickley out here.

Besides, these kids are just as messed up as kids anywhere else.

No. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

The question is what? By who?




And to whom?

No comments: