04 September 2003

This WILL be used as evidence against me, I'm just not sure when

Go ahead, quote bits from this post out of context. It'll sound damning, but I gotta tell you: There's a lot of really great perks to working in a junior high school. Let's forego the obvious monetary rewards. (Which really aren't all that rewarding. Especially once you add up transportation costs, cleaning expenses, the manditory insurance fees and the inital lo-ball-salary amount which is probablt why my company was selected by the Saitama board of education to supply foreign assistant-teachers...) And it's not like this is a really easy, convenient job to get to. I have to get up at 5:40 AM and take three different trains over 90 minutes to get there. (I could move closer to the school, assuming I had 5 months rent on hand...)

But there's something undeniably gratifying about seeing a group of 12-year olds light up simultanously because they figured out they could be understood in another language. Or seeing a silly game you made actually help a class understand how to use some new words. Or having the ability to help someone sort out the difference between "visit" and "stay."

...Or walking by and having a group of 15 year old girls say "a-ra-ra, atarashii sensei was kakoii wa yo!"

Seriously. I'm gonna behave. They trust me, so I gotta make good. And besides, I'm not a creepy degenerate.

Not in that way, anyhow.

No comments: