29 July 2002

What's the point?

I realize that whole schools of philosophy are devoted to this question, and that one hastily written post isn't going to add anything substantial to the pursuit of an answer, but I would like an answer. To be more specific, I would like an answer that seems to have some logic that I can agree with and understand. There ought to be some valid reason for doing things, right? I mean, why the hell should I go to work? Or take a shower? Or eat? What purpose is served by my continued existence? For that matter, what purpose is served by anyone's existence?

Do I add something valuable to the condition of life on Earth? And is what I add worth more than my existence costs in terms of energy, other people's time, or raw materials? Am I a waste of oxygen? Could the food I eat be put to better use?

Starvation is bad, right? Starvation leads to death. Which is bad, right? Maybe the other side of the question is more important. Is it good to feed people? Is it good to keep people alive? What's the value in living? Of course, we don't really have a choice about being born, so there's not much we can do about the whole arrival here. But why is staying alive so important?

Are people supposed to do something? Anything? Making babies, however much fun the conceptive act may be, doesn't strike me as being a good enough reason by itself. If all people are good for is reproduction, then dogs and bees and ants are much better at it than we are.

Hmm. It looks like I really need two questions answered here:

1. To what degree is human life valuable?

2. How was that answer arrived at?

Any thoughtful or amusing answers should be sent to the author. Any replies concerning "God's plan," "The Lord's Will," or "Jesus Loves"-anything will be mirthlessly laughed at, then deleted.

No comments: