10 September 2006

Onwards and, er, overwards...

All right, as you may or may not know, I spent the last four and a half years in Japan. Really, about as good a place to be made to feel like an alien as any. Safe, clean, and brimming with societal norms that have no logical level of correlation with the norms I was raised with. Sure, "Sayonara, Robocop!" correlates one to one with "Goodbye, 8 Man!", but there's absolutely no correlation between the English "that'll be difficult" (this is where you bribe me) and the Japanese "that'll be difficult" (Are you stupid or just foreign? No.)

So it was an exercise in trying to adapt.

And I'm not done yet. This will be my last post from the US for a while. Next stop: Merry olde Eng-lande. I'll be trying to restart my official-type education there, so from now on, replace "outskirts of Tokyo" with "outskirts of London" and "Konichiwa, biatch" with "Cheerio, biatch."

New island.

New language.

Same old dumbass Datsun. See you in Soho, suckas!*



*Note: actual presence in Soho not guaranteed.

1 comment:

Jarred McGinnis said...

Welcome fellow yank. We too are in the outskirts of the big smoke. Karla told me of you. We might have even met. Austin is small like that. If you ever long for reminisces of crown and anchor burgers or margaritas, you can find my email on my blog.

Enjoy

p.s. what university are you at?