24 May 2005

Just for the record...

On Friday night last week I was able to go to a teeny-weeny club on the second floor of a mixed use building in Ogikubo, a part of Tokyo that feels like the good parts of the Nob Hill/university area in Albuquerque. For a one-drink minimum I got to hear five hours of good music in a comfortable, clean, smoke-free room. All the guests were well-behaved and generally decent dancers. And after it was all over, it was quick work to catch a clean, fairly priced cab for a ride back home.

There are, in fact, many good things about living in Japan. I just find it easier to channel rage and bile into the will to write than I do contentment and satisfaction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Albuquerque in a blog from Tokyo... Indeed.

Datsun Z said...

You gotta talk about what you know, you know? I could try and say something about the good parts of Chicago (where I've never been) or Los Angeles (which has no good parts), but I'd know it was just so much bullshit.
"We are, after all, professionals."